RE: To wstring or not to wstring...

From: Smith, Bennett <bennett.smith@kanisa.com>
Date: Tue, 7 Jul 1998 07:35:48 -0700
To: DOM List <www-dom@w3.org>
Hello XML'ers

I am new to both CORBA and XML so my question might be off target.

This discussion of wchar/wstring in IDL worries me.  If it is true that
the various operating systems implement wide characters in various byte
lengths and encodings, how does proposing that a sequence be used in the
DOM IDL help anything?  It seems to me that by using the sequence in the
DOM IDL spec. you are then asking each implementor to handle the data
marshaling/unmarshaling for wide characters to/from any other platform.
Is this true?

Many thanks.

-- Bennett

--