Question about getNextSibling/getPreviou

From: <akirkpatrick@ims-global.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Mar 1998 14:48:06 +0000
To: www-dom@w3.org
Am I right in thinking that these methods are going to be
very inefficient? Assuming a child node has no prior knowledge
of the previous/next nodes in the tree, all it can do is:

1. Get its parent node
2. Get the children of the parent node
3. Run through the list to find itself
4. Return the previous/next as applicable

The only way this could be improved is by adding next/previous
pointers to each node which will a) increase memory use and
b) make editing the tree very tedious. Also, given the current
DOM, there are no methods for setting the previous/next so this
approach isn't possible.

Have I understood this correctly?

Also, can I reiterate the call for a new draft. It sounds from
recent emails that major changes are afoot and it would be
nice to get them in before people in our wider organisation
start using the code I've been writing.

Thanks and regards,
Alfie Kirkpatrick
akirkpatrick@ims-global.com