Re: More Notes on DOM

From: Mike Champion <mcc@arbortext.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Mar 1998 09:12:51 -0500
To: Andrew n marshall <amarshal@usc.edu>, "W3C DOM List (E-mail)" <www-dom@w3.org>
At 11:27 PM 3/8/98 -0500, Andrew n marshall wrote:

>Thanks to all who replied to my last batch.  The following is just a need
for
>some clarifications:
>
> * Is the NodeEnumerator of a "live" NodeList, such as getChildren, also
>considered  "live"?

After 6 months of arguing back and forth, getChildNodes (the *new*
getChildren) returns a NodeIterator (the *new* NodeEnumerator).  So, there
are no more node lists, live node lists, editable node lists, etc., only
NodeIterators.  The compromise is to allow NodeIterators to have various
"array-like" methods that let you randomly access nodes by the "position"
in the enumeration at which they would lie, and to allow them to be
accessed by name via the iterator.

NodeIterators are always "live" in the sense that they instantly reflect
all changes to the tree, and the Nodes returned from a NodeIterator may be
used to modify the tree.

> * Is an empty NodeList a valid response to getChildren for a Node that has
>no children (instead of null)?

Hmmm. I can't remember our previous position on this, but it is now moot.
getChildNodes will return a non-NULL iterator, which itself will always
return NULL when accessed.  But as I said above, if someone added a Node
that WOULD be a child AFTER the iterator was created, calling toNext on the
iterator would return the new child.

Sorry for all the changes to the core model, but I hope you understand how
these little details were bedeviling us, and fundamental changes seemed
like the best solution.

Mike Champion