Re: "include-source" property of an ID or CLASS

From: Taylor <taylor@wired.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 1997 16:36:22 -0700 (Pacific Daylight Time)
To: Stuart Harris <sirrah@baluga.maximumaccess.com>
cc: www-dom@w3.org
On Mon, 28 Jul 1997, Stuart Harris wrote:

|However I can't get this to work or find explicit documentation on it.
|Can anyone help please? Yes I know this is simple if you use LAYER but I
|need something more general...

Since we are importing html structure into the document, I don't think CSS
would be the place for it as it concerns itself with presentation.  Though
I have been needing a client-side include mechanism.  Using <iframe> isn't
what I need because it creates a new instance of a window object and has a
whole new tree.  What I want is a container that imports a file on the
client side, but stays within that document's object structure.

<object type="text/html"> always seemed to me to be a good candidate to me
since it was a container already, and had a source (data="foo.html")
attribute already.  But in the browser that this works in (IE4) this
creates a new instance of a window just like <iframe>.

  "California seceding will not meet
                                 Taylor's need for spiritual development."
Wired Digital's Minister of Ambiance and Energy----------------------------