RE: [dom-xpath] Competing Proposals Proposal

From: Jonathan Marsh <jmarsh@microsoft.com>
Date: Mon, 8 May 2000 15:06:15 -0700
To: www-dom-xpath@w3.org

I'd be happy to work on option 1.  As a startng point I'll document
Microsoft's current state, and Oracle's to the best of my ability.

           document.setProperty("SelectionLanguage", language) [MSXML 2.6]
           document.setProperty("SelectionNamespaces", namespaces) [MSXML
3.0]
  nodeList node.selectNodes(queryString) [MSXML 2.0 (IE5)]
  node     node.selectSingleNode(queryString) [MSXML 2.0 (IE5)]

- The SelectionLanguage property recognizes "XSL Pattern" and "XPath"; it
defaults to "XSL Pattern" for backward compatibility with IE5.
- The SelectionNamespaces namespace declaration string is in the form of a
string containing xmlns attributes, e.g. "xmlns:a='uri1' xmlns:b='uri2'".
If the result of wrapping this string with "<test " and "/>" is a
well-formed XML + namespaces document, the string is accepted.
- Expressions must evaluate to nodelists, otherwise error.
- selectSingleNode is equivalent to node.selectNodes(queryString).item(0).

My understanding of Oracle's current implementation (based solely on docs on
their website) is:

  nodeList node.selectNodes(queryString)
  node     node.selectSingleNode(queryString)
  node     node.selectSingleNode(queryString, NSResolver)
  object   node.valueOf(queryString)

- Behavior of selectNodes with no namespace declarations is unknown to me.
- The object returned can be a string, boolean, number, or nodeList,
depending upon the type of the expression result.