RE: Is minimalism a goal?

From: Dave Pawson <dave.pawson@virgin.net>
Date: Fri, 5 May 2000 21:57:15 +0100
To: <www-dom-xpath@w3.org>
Jonathan Marsh.
     There are several directions for XPath APIs to take:
     - minimal, convenience-oriented (e.g. Microsoft/Oracle selectNodes)
     - complete (e.g. full context initialization, matching, etc.)
     - performant (complete + compiled queries, streaming support, etc.)

     Is this list converging on one of these directions?  Deciding
     early on what
     the goal is will smooth the entire process.  Noteably, if the
     minimal option
     is chosen it must be assiduously defended.  I've never seen minimalism
     succeed at the W3C, which is a shame.  Can we buck that trend?

As a generality I'd say *aim* for minimal (KISS principle).
I was a little concerned with, for instance, all the 'nice to have's'
appearing after Michael's proposed summary.

Regards, DaveP