Re: Parameter names for getElementsByTagName in DOM L3

From: Fred L. Drake, Jr. <fdrake@acm.org>
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2001 10:18:32 -0400
To: Philippe Le Hegaret <plh@w3.org>
Cc: www-dom@w3.org, www-dom-ts@w3.org

Curt Arnold wrote:
 > Document.getElementsByTagName's parameter is named "tagname",
 > Element.getElementsByTagName's parameter is named
 > "name".  Doesn't matter in the big scheme of things but it does
 > complicate production of the test markup language.  If
 > possible, could parameter "name" be changed to "tagname" in
 > DOM L3 Core.

  As I mentioned elsewhere, it does matter for languages which support
named parameters at the call site.

Philippe Le Hegaret writes:
 > To be sure I understand the rational here. How about DOM Level 1 and
 > DOM Level 2 production of the test markup languages?

  I'd say it sounds more like an unintentional inconsistency in the
specifications, and issuing an errata making the names consistent
would make more sense in the long term.

  -Fred

--
Fred L. Drake, Jr.  <fdrake at acm.org>