Re: Integrating the DOM test suite in the Batik test infrastructure

----- Original Message -----
From: "Vincent Hardy" <vincent.hardy@sun.com>
To: <carnold@houston.rr.com>
Sent: Wednesday, November 28, 2001 9:38 AM
Subject: Integrating the DOM test suite in the Batik test infrastructure

> Curt,
>
> We talked a while back about Batik and its DOM implementation. As you
> may know, we have our own test infrastructure into which I would like
> to integrate the DOM level 1 and DOM level 2 tests you have created in
> the DOM WG test effort.

Actually, the tests were primarily created by NIST.  I created most of the
implementation.

> However, I have poked around:
>
> http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/2001/DOM-Test-Suite/
>
> and looked at your ReadMe.txt and I am not too sure what I am up to...

I didn't write and haven't read the readme.txt (it is pretty new) and open
for comments.

> It seems that your tools currently generate tests for JUnits a some
> other frameworks. Could you tell me if this was done by writing
> adaptors for these frameworks (but in the end you are running the
> same tests) or if you have different stylesheets
> for each framework?

There are distinct stylesheets for different bindings.  For example, there
are distinct stylesheets for Java and ECMAScript (and hopefully Python, C++,
C#, etc).  The Java tests are written to use an interface that abstracts the
functions required from the test framework.  The produced jar's can current
be run using either JUnit or Avalon testlet by matching the test jar with an
adapter jar (either junit-run.jar or avalon-run.jar).  Probably the most
appropriate approach would be to create a similar adapter for your regard
tool.  Look at the sources in either DOM-Test-Suite/java/junit or
DOM-Test/java/avalon and hopefully it will be moderately obvious.

> I'd like to scope how difficult/easy it is going to be to integrate
> your test suite into our regard (regression guard) tool.

Hopefully with an appropriate adapter classes you can use the standard
distribution .jars to test the Java implementation.

Philippe Le Hegaret was looking at testing Batik using the existing
JUnit/Avalon adapters by using the DOM 3 Load/Save interfaces.

I would also love to see a SVG/ECMAScript test suite.  I was thinking that
you could build a grid for a particular test suite and the squares would
turn green or red as the tests progress and hovering over a test would put
any messages in a text box at the bottom of the page.