Re: [DOM TS Design: Test definitons]

Dimitris Dimitriadis <dimitris.dimitriadis@improve.se> writes:

> [Stanley Guan <Stanley.Guan@oracle.com> writes:]
> > [Ken MacLeod writes:]
> > >In all respects, a conforming Perl DOM lite implementation, via an OMG
> > >IDL wrapper, should be a conforming DOM implementation.  Mostly it's a
> > >difference in presentation.
> >
> > Has this point of view been taken into consideration?

> As indicated in a previous mail, we have indeed thought about
> this. If would be a great thing if we could describe the tests in a
> language-neutral way and automatically generate tests for a
> particular language.

In Perl there could be two levels of conformance testing, one at the
"full DOM API" level using an OMG IDL wrapper and the standard tests,
but also a level that tests what Perl considers the "lite DOM API"[1],
which, for reference, is currently only in draft.  That may be the
thinking behind the original question.  We should be able to work out
what the crossover is.

> However, as we've ancountered some difficulties, I'd personally like
> to see a thread on this mailing list to discuss this.
>
> The objectives are:
> 1. Describe tests in IDL terms
> 2. Generate tests for particular languages
> 3. Point to relevant part of the specification

For interested perl-xml folks, the mail list is www-dom-ts@w3.org[2],
and you can subscribe by sending a message to
www-dom-ts-request@w3.org with the word 'subscribe' in the subject of
the mail message.

  -- Ken

[1] <http://Casbah.org/~kmacleod/orchard/perlish-dom-draft>