RE: [General] License Question

From: Fred L. Drake, Jr. <fdrake@acm.org>
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2001 12:33:47 -0400 (EDT)
To: "Arnold, Curt" <Curt.Arnold@hyprotech.com>, Dimitris Dimitriadis <dimitris.dimitriadis@improve.se>
Cc: "'www-dom-ts@w3.org'" <www-dom-ts@w3.org>

Arnold, Curt writes:
 > If we want it clean, we should either request a separate project on
 > SourceForge under the W3C Software license and/or create a module
 > on the W3C's CVS server.  Probably just cleaner to create a
 > www-dom-ts project at SourceForge since that would allow you to
 > grant CVS commit rights on just the www-dom-ts work instead of
 > opening up all of the W3C CVS server.

  This is definately the best way to go.

Dimitris Dimitriadis writes:
 > Please give me some pointers and I'll send the appropriate requests right
 > away.

  The front page at http://sourceforge.net/ includes links labelled
"Register as a site user" and "Register Your Project" in the
introductory text; those are what you want.

 > Do we have any news on whether it's possible to do backups on the
 > www-dom-ts project?

  SourceForge makes available nightly tarballs of the project's CVS
repository; you can just fetch those in a cron job every day.  Since
each project gets a complete repository (including admin files), it's
easy enough to set that up in a new location if necessary.
  Getting information out of the trackers may be another matter, but
should be possible.  Failing all else, screen-scraping can be used to
collect the information and dump it into a database -- we used this
approach with the older bug & patch managers to load a PostgresSQL
database for ad hoc queries.  Our code was never updated to the newer
trackers SourceForge is using.

  -Fred

--
Fred L. Drake, Jr.  <fdrake at acm.org>