Re: DOM TS copyright and sf at w3.org

From: Philippe Le Hegaret <plh@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2001 16:50:43 -0400
To: "Arnold, Curt" <Curt.Arnold@hyprotech.com>
Cc: "'www-dom-ts@w3.org'" <www-dom-ts@w3.org>
"Arnold, Curt" wrote:
> >> Should each test
> >> have a "Copyright (c) 2001, MIT..." boilerplate?
> >
> > Yes, they should.
> I thought so.  We should provide a standard formulation.
> Hopefully, it would be sufficient to place something like:
> <!-- Copyright (c) 2001, whoever.  This document is made
> available under the W3C Document Notice http://www.w3.org/...  -->

 * Copyright (c) 2001 World Wide Web Consortium,
 * (Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Institut National de
 * Recherche en Informatique et en Automatique, Keio University). All
 * Rights Reserved. This program is distributed under the W3C's Document
 * Intellectual Property License. This program is distributed in the
 * hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even
 * See W3C License http://www.w3.org/Consortium/Legal/ for more details.

> instead of having to include the full text of the document
> notice in every test.
> A transform could be provided that inserts the appropriate
> boilerplate when the proper formulation is decided (but
> before the submission process is started)

After a discussion with Joseph Reagle, we agreed that the submitter
can still hold the copyright on the submitted test but he needs to
grant the W3C the license to use them:
   Declaration of [Submitter]

   [Submitter] hereby grants to the W3C, a perpetual,
   nonexclusive, royalty-free, world-wide right and license under any
   [Submitter] copyrights in this contribution to copy, publish and
   distribute the contribution, as well as a right and license of the
   same scope to any derivative works prepared by the W3C and based on,
   or incorporating all or part of the contribution. [Submitter]
   further agrees that any derivative works of this contribution prepared
   by the W3C shall be solely owned by the W3C.

Of course, it presumes that the submitter really holds the copyright
on the submitted tests but this can be sorted out during the acknowledgment

> I understand the need to keep the official tests clean, but
> I see an conflict between the expected use of the tests
> and the "No right to create modifications or derivatives
> of W3C documents is granted pursuant to this license."
> I could see the following scenarios that seem like a legitimate
> use of the tests but progressively get closer to conflicting
> with the prohibition on derivative works.

Good points. Let me work on that and see if we are able to come up
with a license that follows the requirements and is easy to implement.

> > There is a Bugzilla
> > system in the W3C
> > but we're still testing it so it is not ready yet.
> If you are already working on Bugzilla, then it would probably
> be best to keep the resources focused and get it usable
> for this project instead of bring another piece of software
> into the mix.

Again, the service is not available yet and don't have a release date. Since I
don't have the possibility to speed up our systeam resources, I'm proposing
the SF solution based on my own time resources.