How to add an Attribute to my existing XML file ?

From: palash kar <palash_kar@rediffmail.com>
Date: 5 Jun 2001 06:27:27 -0000
To: "www-dom-ts@w3.org" <www-dom-ts@w3.org>
Dear Sir,
This is Palash from India says hello to u.
In between days i am doing on XML(DOM Parser) & java.
i have some problem...
can u tell me How can i add an Atttribute to my existing
XML file...
i am able to read values from XML file but not able to modify or add.
i used ur setAttribute(srt1,str2) method but still
unsuccess.
So this time please reply .....
Palash
Software Engineer