Re: Expressions in DISelect versus MQ

"Anne van Kesteren" <annevk@opera.com> writes:

> On Wed, 17 May 2006 11:37:19 +0200, Max Froumentin <mf@w3.org> wrote:
>> You've almost answered your own question: the media attribute in
>> XHTML2.0 _only_ takes a CSS2 media type (aural, braille, etc.).
>>
>> That wasn't enough for the people who designed DIAL, and that's why
>> the expr attribute from DISelect allows complex XPath epxressions.

> Well, instead of inventing new things you could give comments (or ask)
> to the HTML WG regarding this.

Discussions with the HTML WG, date back from 2003. See
<http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/w3c-html-cg/2003AprJun/0061.html>
for instance, (HCG, member only).

> In the end I think, if XHTML 2.0 ever ends up being implemented, you
> would like to support media queries there. Just like media queries
> currently extends HTML4 in some way.

I agree that this is an important topic, which has already been the subject of
discussions between the CSS and DI groups (see
<http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/w3c-css-wg/2006JanMar/0250.html>).

> The DI WG could also introduce an attribute similar to media="" which
> does accept a media query.

Yes, or they could just import media in DIAL. I don't how sel:expr and
media would interact when used together but it may make sense to allow
both (in different places).

The problem is the simplicity of media queries versus the power of
XPath, of course.  And also the speed of deployment: at the moment,
XHTML2 doesn't have the power that device independent content authors
require. And they want something quickly.

Max.