RE: Web page layouts in different cultures - question from DIWG

From: Steve Zilles <szilles@adobe.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2005 12:14:47 -0700
To: "Richard Ishida" <ishida@w3.org>, "'Bruno Girin'" <Bruno.Girin@cambista.com>, <www-international-request@w3.org>
Cc: <www-di@w3.org>, <www-international@w3.org>
At 05:43 AM 9/22/2005, Richard Ishida wrote:
> > Unfortunately neither HTML nor CSS support vertical layout.
>
>CSS3 will provide this.  Note also that some vertical text support is
>available using IE already (though I'm not recommending this be used until
>standards exist, you can see an example at
>http://people.w3.org/rishida/scripts/samples/japanese.html (select the
>direction in the right hand column). Note how the text does not fill the
>page vertically. )

No need to wait for CSS3, both XSL
   http://www.w3.org/TR/2001/REC-xsl-20011015/
and SVG (check section 10)
   http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG11/
support vertical text in their current Recommendations. The CSS3 proposals
of record are largely based on the XSL extensions, but the Rudy support in
CSS3 was done only in CSS.

         Steve
Steve Zilles
115 Lansberry Court,