Re: W3C Proposed Recommendation: HTML5

From: Robin Berjon <robin@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2014 16:25:20 +0200
To: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@annevk.nl>
CC: Karl Dubost <kdubost@mozilla.com>, Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@mit.edu>, "L. David Baron" <dbaron@mozilla.com>, www-archive <www-archive@w3.org>
On 22/09/2014 16:15 , Anne van Kesteren wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 22, 2014 at 1:45 PM, Robin Berjon <robin@w3.org> wrote:
>> On 20/09/2014 11:20 , Anne van Kesteren wrote:
>>> Yeah the W3C crowd keeps saying that, yet hasn't invested any
>>> meaningful effort into creating modules.
>>
>> I'm not sure who the "W3C crowd" are (it sounds like an arbitrary moniker
>> designed to encourage "us vs them" thinking) but the only meaningful
>> investment into creating modules that I know of is starting pretty much now.
>
> You are not familiar with the constant TPAC-refrain of how we need to
> modularize HTML? Jeff for one has been saying this a lot and then
> everyone claps, goes home, and does nothing about it.

I was under the impression that I hadn't heard that in a very long time,
but it is equally possible that I have somehow acquired a way of just
filtering it out :)

> As far as actual modularization of HTML goes, I'd claim
> XMLHttpRequest, Fetch, URL, Encoding, DOM, etc. are all examples of
> that.

Agreed, in fact I've been using these as proofs of existence. My
thinking is basically that we can use more of the same.

> Although DOM and XMLHttpRequest have a two-way dependency with
> HTML, effectively making them just another page that happens to be
> maintained by someone else.

I don't think that two-way dependencies are an issue. It's actually a
fairly expected feature of systems of any complexity.