Re: W3C Proposed Recommendation: HTML5

From: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@annevk.nl>
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2014 16:15:40 +0200
To: Robin Berjon <robin@w3.org>
Cc: Karl Dubost <kdubost@mozilla.com>, Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@mit.edu>, "L. David Baron" <dbaron@mozilla.com>, www-archive <www-archive@w3.org>
Not sending this to dev.platform, seems way off-topic.

On Mon, Sep 22, 2014 at 1:45 PM, Robin Berjon <robin@w3.org> wrote:
> On 20/09/2014 11:20 , Anne van Kesteren wrote:
>> Yeah the W3C crowd keeps saying that, yet hasn't invested any
>> meaningful effort into creating modules.
>
> I'm not sure who the "W3C crowd" are (it sounds like an arbitrary moniker
> designed to encourage "us vs them" thinking) but the only meaningful
> investment into creating modules that I know of is starting pretty much now.

You are not familiar with the constant TPAC-refrain of how we need to
modularize HTML? Jeff for one has been saying this a lot and then
everyone claps, goes home, and does nothing about it.

As far as actual modularization of HTML goes, I'd claim
XMLHttpRequest, Fetch, URL, Encoding, DOM, etc. are all examples of
that. Although DOM and XMLHttpRequest have a two-way dependency with
HTML, effectively making them just another page that happens to be
maintained by someone else.

--
https://annevankesteren.nl/