Re: [whatwg] Mailing List Archive Link

From: Karl Dubost <karl@la-grange.net>
Date: Tue, 12 Nov 2013 09:06:33 -0500
Cc: www-archive Archive <www-archive@w3.org>
To: Anselm Hannemann <info@anselm-hannemann.com>
Hello Anselm,
(slightly offtopic for whatwg technical discussions. Just to give context on how it is working)

Le 12 nov. 2013 à 03:10, Anselm Hannemann <info@anselm-hannemann.com> a écrit :
> In the mails from w3c there is a header tag with the reference to the archived version but I couldn’t find one here.

The way it is working at W3C is along these lines (if I remember all details).

1. Message arrives at W3C
2. The message id is kept in a DB
3. The mailing-list manager sends the message to the recipients
   after creating a link with the message-id
   Example
4. The archiving system creates the Web archive for the message (sometimes at different URIs if cross-posted)

When someone clicks on Archived-At it goes to the message-id redirection service. If only one place for the archive, it goes directly there. If archived at multiple places it goes to the intermediate page with the list of links.

--
Karl Dubost
http://www.la-grange.net/karl/