Re: Information on HTML 5

From: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2013 05:42:21 +0000 (UTC)
To: Bjoern Hoehrmann <derhoermi@gmx.net>
cc: www-archive@w3.org
On Wed, 13 Feb 2013, Bjoern Hoehrmann wrote:
> Pages like http://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc4329 unfortunately have
> code like `<title>Information on RFC&nbsp4329</title>` currently, which
> interestingly shows up exactly like that in Google search results

Not for me; do you have a sample (Google) URL showing this?

This page seems to have no "nbsp" in the titles:

> even though browsers treat the kaput reference as `&nbsp;`.

As per the spec.

> Surely at least if documents switch on the right doctype mode, Google
> will use a standards compliant HTML parser? Maybe this will suffice to
> find out in a while...

There's only one parser per the standard, it defines how you parse pages
regardless of DOCTYPE (there's maybe two things in the parser I think
that are affected by the precise DOCTYPE).

> http://www.websitedev.de/temp/information-on-html-5.html

I'm unable to find this page in Google's index, unfortunately, so cannot
test it there.