Re: Invited Expert Agreement

From: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@annevk.nl>
Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2012 16:58:36 +0200
To: Philippe Le Hegaret <plh@w3.org>
Cc: www-archive <www-archive@w3.org>, Wendy Seltzer <wseltzer@w3.org>, Rigo Wenning <rigo@w3.org>, Jeff Jaffe <jeff@w3.org>
Hi Philippe,

On Fri, Sep 28, 2012 at 3:55 PM, Philippe Le Hegaret <plh@w3.org> wrote:
> [T]he W3C Members told us by an overwhelming majority (80%) is
> that, when you are on the W3C Rec-track, they feel that the
> specifications must not be forkable.

80% of the W3C Members, or 80% of those that remembered to vote?

> We certainly understand and respect your opinion about the copyright
> issue.  Nonetheless, we would still be very disappointed if this
> results in your not participating as an IE. We will certainly continue
> to look for a common ground between the various communities.

I cannot participate via the Invited Expert Agreement knowing that my
creative input will end up tied to a single organisation rather than
the whole world. The web is for everyone, its documentation should be
too.

> As a reminder, we created Community Groups, open forums without
> fees, with a more open license (the W3C Community Contributor
> License Agreement (CLA) [4])). It enables anyone to socialize
> their ideas for the Web at the W3C for possible future
> standardization.

I have not taken the time to study agreements for Community Groups in
detail (and have therefore not rejoined any thus far), but I believe
it should be no problem for me to publish specifications using the FSA
through the WHATCG in due course.

Kind regards,

--
http://annevankesteren.nl/