Re: [admin] Mail List Policy, Usage, Etiquette, etc. & Top-posting

On Tue, May 29, 2012 at 10:53 AM, James Graham <jgraham@opera.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 29 May 2012, Ian Fette (イアンフェッティ) wrote:
>
>  On Tue, May 29, 2012 at 10:32 AM, Karl Dubost <karld@opera.com> wrote:
>>
>>      Le 29 mai 2012 à 12:59, Ian Fette (イアンフェッティ) a écrit :
>>      > And your modified reply causes GMail not to collapse the
>> replied-to text
>>
>> seems to be a GMail issue.
>>
>> […]
>> > resolved by using an up-to-date MUA.
>>
>> Dare putting a list somewhere?
>>

>> Sure, how about:
>>
>>  *  Thunderbird 12
>>  *  GMail
>>  *  Mail.app
>>  *  Opera Mail 11.64
>>

> Seriously?
>
> Anyway I often use alpine to access list mail and your mail in particular
> is very problematic (I also use thunderbird, I don't recall offhand whether
> this is an issue there); for some reason you aren't adding a quote
> character at the start of lines (see the way that your text and Karl's text
> are quoted at the same level above).
>
> It would be rather helpful to me, and I suspect others, if you could fix
> your client misconfiguration.

You do realize that you're using a mail client that hasn't been updated in
4 years, is unmaintained, and never saw wide-spread deployment? I realize
that all software is "niche" at some point, and having been on Chrome since
well before it was unreleased I know what it's like to use something that
no one has heard of. That said, we realized that for us to be successful,
we had to be compatible with the world as it was, not the world as we would
like it to be. This whole argument strikes me as rather odd. "Please keep
the world as it was in 1996 so that I can continue to use my 1996-era mail
clients to discuss how we should change the world and add new APIs that
only modern clients will be able to take advantage of." It's slightly
ironic...