Re: HTML+RDFa is in-scope for HTML WG Charter

From: Ivan Herman <ivan@w3.org>
Date: Sat, 27 Feb 2010 08:46:55 +0100
To: Manu Sporny <msporny@digitalbazaar.com>
CC: Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>, RDFa WG Team/Chairs <team-rdfa-chairs-wg@w3.org>, Philippe le H├ęgaret <plh@w3.org>, Sam Ruby <rubys@intertwingly.net>, Paul Cotton <Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com>, W3C Archive <www-archive@w3.org>

On 2010-2-26 23:32 , Manu Sporny wrote:
> On 02/26/2010 05:08 PM, Maciej Stachowiak wrote:
>>> Can I start telling people that RDFa is planned to be released as a part
>>> of HTML5?
>>
>> For all our Working Drafts, there is no firm guarantee it will proceed
>> to REC. The Working Group could decide to abandon the deliverable
>> instead of taking it to Last Call. This is true even for the HTML5 draft
>> itself. But it would be fair to say that we are currently treating
>> HTML+RDFa as a REC-track deliverable.
>
> Philippe, Maciej,
>
> Thanks for the response, both of you have clarified what I had suspected:
>
> * HTML WG is treating HTML+RDFa as a REC-track deliverable.
> * HTML WG makes no firm guarantees on any draft proceeding to REC,
>   including the main HTML5 spec itself.

Right. And making this even more general: no Working Group can ever make
firm guarantees on a draft proceeding to REC. There are a number of
document in W3C's past that got stuck at whatever stage and never made
it as Rec; some of them just stayed as drafts, others have been
converted into W3C Notes at the last minute. The maximum a WG can say is
that it considers a specific document as being on Rec Track, ie, that it
plans to publish it as such. My understanding is that this is the case
with HTML5+RDFa.

Maciej, thanks for clarifying this.

Ivan

> -- manu