Re: vCard RDF NOTE - draft

From: Toby Inkster <tai@g5n.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 02 Oct 2009 09:01:31 +0100
To: martin.hepp@ebusiness-unibw.org
Cc: Renato Iannella <renato@nicta.com.au>, Harry Halpin <hhalpin@ibiblio.org>, Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com>, Dan Brickley <danbri@danbri.org>, Peter Mika <pmika@yahoo-inc.com>, Brian Suda <brian.suda@gmail.com>, www-archive@w3.org
On Fri, 2009-10-02 at 09:41 +0200, Martin Hepp (UniBW) wrote:

> "that some properties can be expressed as text literals or
> rdf:resource values".
>
> In Crete, we stressed the importance of staying within OWL DL
> or other subsets of OWL.
>
> This requirement does not seem to be met by the current spec,
> because using an owl:ObjectProperty with a literal is afaik
> outside of OWL DL.

It's certainly suboptimal, but seems to gel with how vCard-in-RDF is
used in the wild. Perhaps we should steer producers of data in one
direction, while noting to consumers that historically some people have
used the property differently.

> http://www.w3.org/2006/vcard/Work ( rdf:type owl:Class )
>
>     * rdfs:subClassOf -- http://www.w3.org/2006/vcard/Address
>     * rdfs:subClassOf -- http://www.w3.org/2006/vcard/Label
>     * rdfs:subClassOf -- http://www.w3.org/2006/vcard/Tel

Oh yes, ":w rdfs:subClassOf :x, :y, :z" declares :w to be a subclass of
the intersection of :x, :y and :z. What we want is :w to be a subclass
of their union.

In RDFS/OWL this is:

	:w rdfs:subClassOf [ owl:unionOf (:x :y :z) ] .

So for the example at hand:

	:Work rdfs:subClassOf [
		owl:unionOf (:Address :Label :Tel)
		] .