editorial comments on Media Queries editor's draft

From: Michael(tm) Smith <mike@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 2 Oct 2009 16:03:36 +0900
To: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>
Cc: www-archive@w3.org
1. The Background section says:

     http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css3-mediaqueries/#background
     "The complete list of media types in HTML4 is: ‘aural’,
     ‘braille’, ‘handheld’, ‘print’, ‘projection’, ‘screen’, ‘tty’,
     ‘tv’. CSS2 defines the same list, removes ‘aural’ and adds
     ‘embossed’ and ‘speech’."

   But CSS2 doesn't remove "aural" -- it only deprecates it.
   (Yeah, I realize that statement in the Media Queries spec is
   non-normative but it's still potentially misleading.)

2. There are a couple of places that provide a prose description
   of what a media query is; one is in the Abstract, and the other
   is in the Media Queries section.

     http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css3-mediaqueries/#abstract
     "A media query consists of a media type and zero or more
     expressions to limit the scope of style sheets. Among the
     media features that can be used in media queries are..."

     http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css3-mediaqueries/#media0
     "A media query consists of a media type and zero or more
     expressions involving media features."

   Both of those seem more vague about how the expressions part of
   the media query relates to media features. I suggest
   considering something more like:

      A media query consists of a media type and zero or more
      expressions that check for the conditions of particular
      media features.

  --Mike

--
Michael(tm) Smith