Re: Proposed W3C Spec Conventions

From: Doug Schepers <schepers@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 26 Nov 2009 01:30:07 -0500
To: fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>
CC: www-archive@w3.org
Hi, fantasai-

fantasai wrote (on 11/25/09 5:05 PM):

> Right, so like I said
>
>> > Maybe you're complaining about things like
>> > not working? That would be because the markup is invalid.
>
> It's still invalid.
>
> Maybe this will get this point across:

Oops.  I misparsed what you had said there.  I often screw that up, the
content model for <code> and <pre> seem a bit arbitrary to me.  Fixed now.

> For defining instance of term, I prefer a convention that uses
> instead of
> <dt>term</dt>
> as I sometimes use the latter for things that shouldn't get marked up in
> the index as defining instances of a term.
>
> Note HTML5's explanation here:
> http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/multipage/grouping-content.html#the-dt-element
>
> specifically
> "The dt element itself, when used in a dl element, does not indicate
> that its contents
> are a term being defined, but this can be indicated using the dfn element."

Huh, I'd never made that distinction before.  I only use <dt> for
glossaries, but I'll start using <dfn> as well, now.  Fixed.

Regards-
-Doug Schepers
W3C Team Contact, SVG and WebApps WGs