Re: SVG in text/html

From: Philip Taylor <pjt47@cam.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2009 17:48:57 +0000
To: "Dr. Olaf Hoffmann" <Dr.O.Hoffmann@gmx.de>
CC: www-archive@w3.org
Dr. Olaf Hoffmann wrote:
> Henri Sivonen:
>> http://services.philip.html5.org/html-to-xhtml/
>
> I think, this is basically a good example of completely corrupted
> HTML - without a form around the textarea there is no action at
> all - this provides simply no functionality - looks like a form but is
> nonsense.

As far as I'm aware, <textarea> with no <form> is perfectly valid in
HTML 5, and in HTML 4, and in all other versions. The action is just
implemented with scripting and XMLHttpRequest.

The design of the server-side code makes it impossible to use with an
unscripted <form>, because it requires Content-Type: text/html on the
request. That requirement can't be relaxed, because then the service
would be vulnerable to cross-site scripting attacks. The textarea is
just a convenience for people who don't want to use an HTTP client like
curl to access the service.

--
Philip Taylor
pjt47@cam.ac.uk