Re: Making it possible to use an <svg> root in text/html

From: Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc>
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2009 00:55:12 -0700
To: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>
Cc: Sam Ruby <rubys@intertwingly.net>, Lachlan Hunt <lachlan.hunt@lachy.id.au>, Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi>, Cameron McCormack <cam@mcc.id.au>, Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>, www-archive@w3.org
On Wed, Mar 4, 2009 at 7:38 AM, Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 04 Mar 2009 23:31:24 +0900, Sam Ruby <rubys@intertwingly.net> wrote:
>>
>> I may be wrong, but I don't think that's Henri's point.  I think we can
>> all agree that svg served as text/html should never be considered
>> conformant.
>
> I, for one, would love to author a simplified version of SVG that I can just
> put with text/html on my server, for what it's worth. (E.g. not having to
> deal with namespaces, XML syntax nonsense, etc.) However, I should note that
> if the root element does not actually become <svg> my use case vanishes. (I
> mainly use SVG for images. Though I guess you could change all the
> requirements for SVG as image too, I do not think that would be a good
> idea.)

I agree. I think it would be great if there was a way to author SVG
with similar error handling to what HTML currently has. I think this
would benefit HTML developers that want to author graphs and similar
simple graphics for their website. If that content should be server as
text/html or something else matters less to me.

However I wonder if this issue is not orthogonal to the SVG-in-HTML
issue being debated currently. I'd rather not let this goal derail the
discussions around how to integrate fragments of SVG into HTML
documents. So if possible, I would like to treat these discussions
orthogonally. And ideally first settle on a SVG-in-HTML proposal
before doing relaxed-SVG.

/ Jonas