Re: [html5alt] some thoughts on LEGEND

From: Joshue O Connor <joshue.oconnor@cfit.ie>
Date: Fri, 06 Mar 2009 12:24:50 +0000
To: html5alt@lists.wisc.edu
Cc: www-archive@w3.org
Janina Sajka wrote:
> This came up on Wednesday's PF call in context of discussing recent
> thinking for @summary. We determined to explore asking the HTML Wg to
> expand the functionality of <details>, as it could, conceivably, replace
> table summary.

Would <details> act as some of kind of structured verbose descriptor?

I think that could be needed. However, we have our work cut out just
convincing the current administration of the need for a simple verbose
descriptor like @summary, never mind one with even greater capability. I
am for the idea if this is the case, but only on the caveat that
@summary is reinstated or added back to the specification as a valid way
to describe a complex table and/or provide supplementary information
that is still valid /while/ the new method, <detail>, is the
recommended method.

Cheers

Josh