Re: Web addresses feedback

From: Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 15 Jun 2009 09:29:27 -0500
To: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
Cc: www-archive@w3.org
On Sun, 2009-06-14 at 00:21 +0000, Ian Hickson wrote:
> Minor comments on Web Addresses:
>
> In the "resolve a Web address" algorithm, steps 4-8 should be one step
> with multiple paragraphs.
>
> Same with steps 10-13. (At least 10 and 11, because if the condition in
> step 11 is met, you can't complete step 10.)
>
> Steps 17 and 18 should be one step too, since 18 right now is just an
> example for 17.
>
> For step 8.b, do you know if we have tested whether in the case of a
> browsing context that was navigated to about:blank after having been
> elsewhere (as opposed to the about:blank used at the time of the browsing
> context's creation) the step still applies?
>
> Also, I think Lachy may have already mentioned this, but we need to tweak
> the algorithm so that what are now step 14 doesn't affect non-ASCII
> characters (and steps 15 doesn't affect non-ASCII characters when the
> encoding is UTF-8) so that IRIs don't become URIs when resolving them.
> Otherwise, an absolute IRI can never be an absolute Web Address, which
> would be a problem for various definitions in HTML5.
>
> For planning purposes, can you update me on the timeline you're expecting
> to follow for this draft?
>
> I've stripped the URLs section from HTML5, but I don't really have a good
> place to point to yet as far as I can tell. If there's a permanent URL for
> the draft, please let me know so I can use it in the references when I do
> that (probably in August).

My work is at
http://www.w3.org/html/wg/href/draft

I just indexed the pending feedback that I'm aware of in the
status section.

Larry and I have been talking about whether this "web address"
concept can be folded into the IRI spec; I have my doubts,
but he's having a go at it.
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2009May/0643.html

> Cheers,
gpg D3C2 887B 0F92 6005 C541  0875 0F91 96DE 6E52 C29E