Re: PROPOSAL: Procedure to Promote Progress With Accessibility Issues in HTML5

Manu Sporny wrote:
> Steven Faulkner wrote:
>> would you consider allowing me to edit your version of the spec instead
>> of creating another copy.
>> I would obviously consult with you on what sections i would be working
>> on, to ensure that no conflicts occur.
>
> Sure thing, although "my" version of the spec is auto-generated from
> Ian's version of the spec by inserting the RDFa sub-section into the
> latest HTML5 specification source. Do not edit the Overview.html file as
> the changes will just be overwritten the next time we sync with Ian.
>
>> at the current time it I intend to redraft the:
>> 4.8.2 The img element
>> (http://dev.w3.org/html5/spec/Overview.html#the-img-element)
>> in reference to the WAI consensus document advice
>> (http://www.w3.org/2009/06/Text-Alternatives-in-HTML5)
>> my inital thoughts are to remove the section 4.8.2.1 Requirements for
>> providing text to act as an alternative for images from the spec and
>> reformulate as a W3C  best practice note, referencing it from 4.8.2 The
>> img element  along with relevant references from WCAG 2.0.
>
> How does this sound as a plan of action:
>
> 1. You download, duplicate and edit the changes in the following file:
> http://svn.whatwg.org/webapps/source
> 2. Send me the original file and your changed file (or create a diff
> between the two if you know how to do that).
> 3. I will create/use the diff, check that in and create a script to
> auto-patch Ian's latest version to WAI-approved language. I will then
> run the patch against Ian's latest version and check in a document
> titled "HTML5+ARIA" under the html5/aria directory. (If you need it to
> be called something other than HTML5+ARIA or html5/aria, please say so
> and I will change it).

There are tools to help with this.  One of them is called git, and it
can deal with svn as a source with ease:

   http://www.kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git/docs/git-svn.html

To demonstrate, see:

   git clone http://code.intertwingly.net/public/git/webapps

Note: all I did was issue a command "git svn clone
http://svn.whatwg.org/webapps/".  80 minutes and 35 megabytes later, and
I had my own copy.  Of everything, including history:

   http://code.intertwingly.net/public/git/?p=webapps;a=summary

With such an approach, you can pull changes from Ian, pull changes from
each other, merge, mix and match.  You can host your own git repository,
place a copy on github, or I can ask Mike to implement a redirect from
w3c URI space to one or more of these copies, or even to host a copy of
the git repository itself (current size: 34,937,838 bytes).

- Sam Ruby