Re: PROPOSAL: Procedure to Promote Progress With Accessibility Issues in HTML5

Sam Ruby wrote:
> With such an approach, you can pull changes from Ian, pull changes from
> each other, merge, mix and match.  You can host your own git repository,
> place a copy on github, or I can ask Mike to implement a redirect from
> w3c URI space to one or more of these copies, or even to host a copy of
> the git repository itself (current size: 34,937,838 bytes).

The W3C should host a copy of the git repository for now. This would
allow anybody to contribute without needing an SVN account.

The real solution would be to have whatwg.org switch over to using
git... that way we wouldn't have all of these "I need an account in
order to edit the specification" issues.

People could work on the spec independently of one another and then just
contact one of the HTML5 editors with output from git-format-patch[1] to
merge their changes into the HTML5 spec.

We can sort-of do this now with SVN, but git makes distributed
development so much easier.

Mike, I have a good bit of experience setting up dual-development-stream
configurations of git (tracking Subversion repositories). Please let me
know if you have any questions. git-svn is more fragile than it would
have you believe.

-- manu

[1]http://www.kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git/docs/git-format-patch.html

President/CEO - Digital Bazaar, Inc.
blog: Bitmunk 3.1 Released - Browser-based P2P Commerce
http://blog.digitalbazaar.com/2009/06/29/browser-based-p2p-commerce/