Re: W3C communities and its modus operandi

Le 25 févr. 2009 à 08:55, Sam Ruby a écrit :
> Have we learned everything we can learn from that experience?

My take on it. Having been on many transition calls from W3C for many
years. The process document is here to help people to put milestones.
The way the milestones are achieved is entirely the decision of the WG
and its own community.

So it's not that much about W3C as it is about good management of the
community. Some communities are more challenging (html, css) than
others (rdf, owl, qa).

> Ian has described that experience in a way that I will characterize
> as a death of a thousand cuts, and uses that to justify his swinging
> a pendulum to a place that some may consider a bit too far the other
> way.

Ian has his very own perception of the story. I do not agree with
everything he said. But that is fine. It's somehow normal, depending
on your expectations with regards to technologies, communities. There
is a lot of cultural background in our discussions here.

> I personally don't want to relive sXBL, either directly by reliving
> the experience or vicariously by participating in a postmortem.  I
> merely want to find the right balance for this working group.

You will not. You will live a different success or failure or in
between.

In terms of technology and documents, I already explained what I would
prefer.
In terms of WG modus operandi, I would be in favor of selecting from
the spec *now*

1. what is really implemented across IE, Safari, Firefox, Opera
    (read here implementation report)
2. AND which matters to browser interop.
    (read here not fight ad nauseam about things which have no current
operational effects in browsers.)