Re: Decision Policy [was: Intended Audience]

Maciej Stachowiak 2009-02-02 12.13:
> On Feb 1, 2009, at 8:23 PM, Leif Halvard Silli wrote:
>> Maciej Stachowiak 2009-02-02 05.05:

>> When I said "strawman", then I used the definitino we had been given -
>> and which I happen to think was a good one as well.
>
> Even by Sam's hasty definition, "It involves raising and addressing an
> issue that bears only a superficial resemblance to the topic being
> discussed,"  I do not see how my statement qualifies. It was most
> definitely about the topic being discussed, in a more than superficial
> way. Nontheless, using an incorrect definition of the term "strawman" as
> a basis for accusations is even less constructive.

Well, your definition is at the very least /not/ complete either.
/Only/ to misrepresent someone's statement is not enough - because
the fenomena called "error" can lead to the same thing.

thing. Good points that are aside the main topic happen often.

>> Third being that you don't like the idea that we should look out for
>> strawmen arguments either.
>
> Look out for? Sure. Politely point out when you believe your position
> has been misstated? Sure. Randomly accuse others without justification?
> That certainly seems like a bad idea, and when I first read Sam's
> message I did not think it would have this kind of effect.

If it is /my/ letter that has had "this kind of effect", then
please say so. I, for one, did not reply to Sam - it was your
letter that affected me.

The most important point in your letter for me to react on was
where you expressed disagrement. Instead I consentrated on the
form of your letter. This was probably wrong to do.

>> It is a logical fallacy to say that we land in a debate about what
>> strawmen is - when the proof for that is yourself.
>
> I'm sorry, I don't understand this sentence. You can clarify if you
> want, but I am also not sure we need to discuss this further.

I'm not sure about that either.
--
leif halvard silli