Re: Google to pay for HTMLWG invited experts at TPAC 2009

-public-html
+www-archive

On Fri, Aug 7, 2009 at 4:20 PM, Larry Masinter<masinter@adobe.com> wrote:

> I'm sorry, my message was clearly out of line.
>
> It's great! I'm sure it will be a productive meeting!

Is that an apology statement followed up with a sarcastic one? Do you
think that's really going to bring closure to this thread?

Do you have a legitimate issue with Google's offer, the way it was
offered, was this just a misunderstanding... or... ?

Larry, I can sense that the HTML WG is sapping your energy (having
been a member of this group since the day it was publicly formed, I
can sympathize) as your tone on public-html and telecons has grown
increasingly frustrated over since you joined several months ago. For
a while I thought I understood the key source of your frustrations
(primarily issues where HTML 5 draft doesn't respect other, more
authoritative & established specs in their respective spaces.) but now
it seems like virtually any topic is cause for an almost formal
objection-like email.

Knowing your _long_ involvement (and [generally good natured][1]) in
the technology standards world, I can't figure out how threads like
this one are helping matters.

Written with the best of intentions,
Shawn

[1]: http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2324.txt