RE: page-break-* and columns

Intercalated...

Melinda

There are a number of combinations that don't make much sense, and we'd have to define those away if we want separate properties.  Your first eg above is one (I'd say that page-break-before: always takes precedence, just like it does over 'page-break-inside: avoid'), but the second eg isn't necessarily non-sensical.  It should mean, "I want this at the top of a column, but not the first column of the page."  So the implementation would pull the content of the preceding column to the next page to satisfy both constraints.

> If we don't care about that, and we lower the priority of
> backwards compatibility, this could work:
>
>    Introduce column-break-* as parallels to page-break-*.
>    Introduce break-* as shorthands that set both page-break-*
>    and column-break-* to the same values.
>
> You get your split out controls for all combinations, and
> it's easy to set both at the same time so authors are more
> likely to keep them in sync.

Sound like a win-win (flexibility and ease-of-use).  I think this is the best suggestion yet.

> But, there are disadvantages:
>    - no way to distinguish between weighting page breaks and
>      column breaks as equally bad vs. weighting page breaks
>      as worse (Alex's point)
!important?
>    - no way forward for a control to "avoid page turns, but
>      breaks between facing pages ok"
Add 'avoid-turn' to the page-breaking props?
>    - as mentioned, no meaningful resolution of contradictory
>      settings
Yep, we'd have to spec the conflicts.  The spreadsheet I did last week should point out the conflicts we'd need to address.