Re: HTML5 spec

Anne van Kesteren wrote:
> On Thu, 20 Nov 2008 19:52:12 +0100, Dean Edridge <dean@dean.org.nz>
> wrote:
>> I have nothing at all against Mike being "pro-active" and putting
>> some thing together and publishing it, it's only the fact that it's
>> been published at, and endorsed by the W3C that bothers me, it's
>> pretty hard to argue against such a spec when it has already been
>> published and people have accepted that it's here for good.

> In what way has it been published and endorsed by the W3C?

I think I've already explained that, I think we are just going to see
this differently.
To me and I'm sure a lot of other people, the spec looks like published
work:
www.w3.org/html/wg/markup-spec/
http://www.webdirections.org/blog/html5-markup-language-first-draft-published/

http://www.w3.org/QA/2008/11/html_5_the_markup.html

For wrong or for right, this is how I see it:
"it's pretty hard to argue against such a spec when it has already been
published and people have accepted that it's here for good."

> It certainly does not look to be published and endorsed more than say
> when I first drafted the html5-diff document, on which the HTML WG had
> not made any decisions at that time either.

I don't see how that matters, perhaps there was an error in that process
too.
I guess you could say that I have a problem with this particular part of
the W3C process. Believe it or not I went out of my way to not make this
look like an offensive criticism of Mike, that was the last thing I
wanted to do, if it's come across that way I'll be happy to discuss it
with him.

> (I'm not sure I agree with that the document should define things in a
> normative way,

I agree.

> but I have a hard time seeing how anything Mike did here is wrong.)

It wasn't supposed to be a case of "Mike being wrong", more of a case of
me disagreeing with the process. I did try to put my concerns across
without criticising Mike personally.

--
Dean Edridge