Re: Improving Communication and Expectations

Hi Marc,
On Thu, Jun 19, 2008 at 6:05 AM, Marc Silbey
<marcsil@windows.microsoft.com> wrote:
> Hey Marcos,
>
> I totally understand why you would be frustrated by our behavior here.
>
> I owe you, Anne, Art and the rest of the WAF group an apology for falling off the radar without telling you where I was going. I am definitely sorry for that.

I'm sorry I didn't raise this issue earlier (and more politely).

> I remember having good conversations with you and others at the Boston f2f on access control and then in email shortly after. I stopped attending WAF calls and we stopped giving feedback on access control for a long while so I can understand why you think we vanished to do our own thing. This was mostly due to the fact that my role in IE changed a little over a year ago and I started working more on accessibility (PF WG) and then at a different capacity altogether.
>
> When I was active in WAF, it wasn't at all clear to me that members of the Web API WG intended to apply the WAF's access control model directly to XHR. As a result, I didn't make our XDR team aware of Web API's work. We want to avoid this in the future by having more IE folks participate in the various WGs. It also helps that Web API and WAF are merged now too.
>
> I want to step back for a moment; I joined the IE team during our "rebirth" if you will. We largely have a new team of people working on IE now and you're starting to see some of us be a part of the W3C. I'll be the first to admit that we're making mistakes during our reentry into the standards conversation. We care deeply about our common web developer and we really want to work with you and others in the working groups to improve standards.

I think everyone in the WG shares those goals.

> We're always open to constructive feedback on how we can better engage. I'm hopeful that we can work through the group's climate and technical issues together quickly. It goes without saying that we have a lot of respect for the folks in the group and so I'm also hopeful that our feedback will be taken seriously.

I guess the simplest thing is to communicate. That does not mean
anyone expects Microsoft to disclose product information. If you guys
are busy, and need to drop off for a while let us know. We all rely on
Microsoft, who has the largest market share in this space, to be
engaged so we don't end up with you guys dropping an XDR-bomb on the
group and more fragmentation on the Web. I say this because all other
desktop browser vendors actively participated in the design of
Access-Control and chose not to run off and do their own thing (but
they could have). When you guys run off and do your own thing (as was
the case with XDR), people may start coming up with all sorts of
ridiculous conspiracy theories [1] as to why you did that.

Kind regards,
Marcos

[1] http://datadriven.com.au/2008/06/18/ie8-xdomainrequest-conspiracy-theory/
--