From: ted@w3.org [mailto:ted@w3.org]
Sent: 11 June 2008 15:05
To: Williams, Stuart (HP Labs, Bristol); Norman Walsh; cmsmcq@w3.org
Subject: Re: Creating Catalog of W3C's XML Schemata

Stuart Williams <skw@hp.com> writes:

> Did you see Norm's response at:
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-tag/2008Apr/0259.html

Stuart,

Yes although I was not cc'd.  I'm hoping for a TAG decision and to
help sway Tim on this.  It doesn't seem like it has made it to the
agenda.

Michael Sperberg-McQueen is also helping lobby Tim.  I have tried in a
few venue in W3C to get a decision on whether or not W3C should bundle
up a catalog and work with OS vendors on getting it out.  During a
project review call on Systems Team projects Tim suggested bringing to
TAG.  Tim sees it as already handled in HTTP RFC based on caching
directives.  Unfortunately many HTTP implementations are far from
complete and I think it is unrealistic to think we can get that fixed
in the wide range of libraries and clients.  What I have to contend
with is an ever increasing strain on our infrastructure and in
addition to our defense strategies need a long term solution to the
problem.  One planned defensive strategy will adversely impact a
considerable amount of XML processing applications.

I agree influencing OS vendors is a major part of this, I think we can
get quite a few (Linux, Mac other UNIX) via libXML and Daniel Veillard
is very willing to help.  I would also go to Michael Champion of
Microsoft based on TAG decision and if Mac, Linux etc are doing this
it will likely influence their decision.  There has been some problems
with XML .Net libraries based products over the years.  Just shipping
the catalogs and having clients and libraries move toward that would
be greatly beneficial, having the OS vendors consult catalogs at TCP
stack level before causing the traffic would absolutely cure the
problem but that is highly unlikely.

Regards,

--
Ted Guild <ted@w3.org>