Re: Seeking earlier feedback from MS [Was: IE Team's Proposal for Cross Site Requests]

From: Alan Gresley <alan@css-class.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2008 17:33:24 +1000
To: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
CC: Sunava Dutta <sunavad@windows.microsoft.com>, Marc Silbey <marcsil@windows.microsoft.com>, www-archive@w3.org, Eric Lawrence <ericlaw@exchange.microsoft.com>, Chris Wilson <Chris.Wilson@microsoft.com>, David Ross <dross@windows.microsoft.com>, "Mark Shlimovich (SWI)" <marksh@microsoft.com>, Doug Stamper <dstamper@exchange.microsoft.com>, Zhenbin Xu <Zhenbin.Xu@microsoft.com>

Ian Hickson wrote:

> It is maybe worth noting that in the time since you said Microsoft had
> comments on the spec, and the time you finally sent those comments to the
> list, the US held an entire cycle of presidential primaries (and a long
> one at that -- one pundit termed it "the long flat seemingly endless
> bataan death march to the Whitehouse"). If this was an isolated incident,
> one might be more willing to give Microsoft the benefit of the doubt, but
> it is just one more example in a long history of such behaviour that
> started long before I got involved in the standards world in the late 90s.
> If Microsoft want to improve their reputation, they should go above and
> beyond being good citizens, not continue this long trend of half-hearted
> participation.

Ian, how does this issue relate to US politics? MS has made many
mistakes in the past but can we all move on from the *past* and work
towards a better *future* (interoperability). Surely this will not work
if you carry on in this insulting manner.

I can vouch that various IE team members seem to want to move away from
the *past*. Can you? A employee from Opera likes to personally blog
about IE8, the Bad. How does this help? When can a MS employee`ever put
their head out without it being bitten off? Let us all encourage MS
along their journey towards opennesses where we all learn to work
*together* for the common good of the web. It can happen.

Alan