RE: Seeking earlier feedback from MS [Was: IE Team's Proposal for Cross Site Requests]

On Sun, 15 Jun 2008, Sunava Dutta wrote:

> As you yourself have said, minutes for telecons and F2F's are poor. I
> did not commit to mid to late November. I said in TPAC I wold try to
> give security feedback 6 weeks to 2 months after the event.

Sunava, I was there. You said three weeks (after we asked for one week,
and you originally replied maybe two, and then extended that to three).
One week is more than enough time to collect and send feedback which you
had said already existed, in any case.

I should point out that we didn't ask for a whitepaper, we asked for
feedback on the draft. A simple e-mail (like the one I just sent giving
your feedback in plain text form) would have sufficed.

It is maybe worth noting that in the time since you said Microsoft had
comments on the spec, and the time you finally sent those comments to the
list, the US held an entire cycle of presidential primaries (and a long
one at that -- one pundit termed it "the long flat seemingly endless
bataan death march to the Whitehouse"). If this was an isolated incident,
one might be more willing to give Microsoft the benefit of the doubt, but
it is just one more example in a long history of such behaviour that
started long before I got involved in the standards world in the late 90s.
If Microsoft want to improve their reputation, they should go above and
beyond being good citizens, not continue this long trend of half-hearted
participation.