mailing list for rdf:text, namespace use

From: Sandro Hawke <sandro@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2008 06:54:35 -0400
To: Chris Welty <cawelty@gmail.com>
Cc: Axel Polleres <axel.polleres@deri.org>, "Phillips, Addison" <addison@amazon.com>, Ivan Herman <ivan@w3.org>, Felix Sasaki <fsasaki@w3.org>, Jie Bao <baojie@cs.rpi.edu>, Ian Horrocks <horrocks@cs.man.ac.uk>, Alan Wu <alan.wu@oracle.com>, www-archive@w3.org

> All,
>
> I don't think there is a need to continue cc'ing the comments lists
> for all the WGs on this thread.
>
> I'd like to consider this a task force of RIF, OWL, and I guess I18N, let you
> guys do the work and then report back to the WGs.
>
> OK?

Ooops, yeah.   I've added www-archive to the cc list, so the e-mail is
properly archived *somewhere*, at least.

guess?

One odd thing that occured to me (during my sleep, I think) about using
the RDF namespace is that the rdf:text datatype will never be used in
(existing) RDF serializations, because they already have a way to
serialize such data.  Happily, this lets us avoid worrying about the
constraint in RDF Syntax [1], "Any other names [in the RDF namespace]
are not defined and SHOULD generate a warning when encountered".  We
should note this in the spec, I think.  Note also that future RDF
serializations might choose to use this, so they don't have to
special-case language-tagged strings.

     -- Sandro

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/2004/REC-rdf-syntax-grammar-20040210/#section-Namespace