RE: [whatwg] Creative Commons Rights Expression Language

Ben Adida wrote:
> Bonner, Matt wrote:
>>> Not that you have to take the time, of course, I'm sure you're busy.
>>> But if you're going to spend time arguing with us, then please argue
>>> with us about what we actually need, not about what you think we
>>> need.
>>
>> Is that the only point of discussion?
>
> No, it definitely isn't if we're talking about how RDFa fits into
> HTML5. But I think you're the one who brought that up, I was just
> explaining where CC is coming from :)

All I did was point out to the WHATWG that CC/W3C had published a
Submission that appeared to call for changes to HTML.  I continue to
believe you should clarify the ccREL Submission to clarify that as it
stands, it applies only to XHTML, and that you propose changes to
HTML5 to support ccREL.

>> Well, if you used <link> instead of <a>,
>
> <link> doesn't support DRY (the user doesn't see the link to the
> license), and it's only in the head, so we can't pass out a small
> chunk of HTML that folks can embed in their page.
>
> That's explained in the ccREL paper, under the principles of DRY and
> self-containment.

The linkage is arguably present, but I think would be improved with
clearer explanation of how the principles drive the design choices.

>> Perhaps it would be better to start over and engage the HTML5
>> community on your requirements, what makes sense and proceed from
>> there?
>
> Sure, although again I got roped into a conversation that *you*
> started :)

I'm not trying to force anyone into anything here. I noticed the
Submission, inferred a proposal for changes to HTML5, and informed
the WHATWG.  Sorry if I stole anyone's thunder.  But this conversation
would need to happen eventually if you want HTML5 support.

> If HTML5 can tell browsers to ignore data-* attributes, I think it can
> probably choose to ignore a few more attributes, right?

Obviously not my decision, by any means. I'm new to the HTMLWG myself.
I can say from what I've observed, that the process steps have been
pretty consistent:

1. show web author/reader demand
2. distill the scenarios into a few key use cases
3. offer a proposal
4. respond to feedback & adjust proposal accordingly
5. if successful, become part of the spec.

Matt
--
Matt Bonner
Hewlett-Packard Company