Re: [html4all] the alt attribute debate

From: Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi>
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2007 15:36:14 +0300
Cc: "'Anne van Kesteren'" <annevk@opera.com>, <www-archive@w3.org>, <list@html4all.org>
To: John Foliot - WATS.ca <foliot@wats.ca>

On Sep 23, 2007, at 01:58, John Foliot - WATS.ca wrote:

> Creating a spec that condones images without alternative text might
> make
> life easier for indifferent content creators, it does *NOTHING* to
> improve
> accessibility - and I have seen nothing from anyone to counter that
> assertion.

It has been stated over and over. It's not like no one has said it.
I'll try to say it again:

By decoupling syntactic correctness from simplistic machine-
assessable accessibility testing, an incentive to pollute the non-
visual user experience with bogus alt text is removed.

(And again, the premise is that bogus alt text is worse than no alt
text in the long run when JAWS is fixed not to read file names that
are not suited for reading.)

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivonen@iki.fi