Re: [W3C docs] We should teach by example.

Le 7 juil. 2007 à 15:53, Philip TAYLOR a écrit :
> I know.  But that is the same argument that is used to
> defend the lack of emphasis placed on grammar in many
> schools today -- "people will understand you, so it
> doesn't matter whether you speak correctly or not".

The one who speaks is the "author" of the voice, aka authoring tools
and author.
The one who listen is the "parser" of the voice, aka browsers.

When the former needs to be strict as much as possible (strong
grammar rules), the latter one needs to be fault tolerant to make the
discussion meaningful.

In a class context, it matters. Then the "parser" can be also a
"teacher".
In daily life, it doesn't work. Fault tolerance makes the
communication possible. 	Do you always express yourself in correct
English?
	Do you always fix the English of people you are communicating with?

For example, I have never seen you fixing one of my emails for its
poor syntax or spelling. But I know that I do mistakes in English.

I think the main target for strictness should be authoring tools. We
are not very good at doing that so far.

   QA Weblog - http://www.w3.org/QA/
      *** Be Strict To Be Cool ***