Re: ... other formats in HTML ... (offlist)

From: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>
Date: Sat, 01 Dec 2007 16:39:06 +0100
To: "Dailey, David P." <david.dailey@sru.edu>, "Maciej Stachowiak" <mjs@apple.com>, "Dr. Olaf Hoffmann" <Dr.O.Hoffmann@gmx.de>
Cc: www-archive@w3.org

On Sat, 01 Dec 2007 16:25:45 +0100, Dailey, David P.
<david.dailey@sru.edu> wrote:
> On Sat 12/1/2007 9:48 AM Maciej Stachowiak wrote:
>> Our Design Principles require compatibiity with existing content, so
>> we can't remove existing functionality.
> It wasn't clear to me that our design principles "require" anything.
> Quoting from http://www.w3.org/TR/html-design-principles/
> 1. These design principles are an attempt to capture consensus on design
> approach. They are pragmatic rules of thumb that must be balanced
> against each other, not absolutes.
> and
> 2. It is inappropriate to cite this document as other than work in
> progress.

This stuff is also in the charter and it's pretty obvious by now what the
constraints are for evolving HTML. Is it really necessary to make such
e-mails? I think it would be better if you stated why you disagree with
the constraint rather than starting a "flamewar" on whether or not the
design principles require anything (I agree that they don't, they simply
illustrate our constraints, and therefore it comes down to the same thing).

Anne van Kesteren