Re: This Working Group needs a Secretary

Off-list since this isn't really about HTML5.

On Fri, 24 Aug 2007, Shawn Medero wrote:

> It would be amazingly helpful if Google could open source some of the
> tools & data used to make their [Web Authoring Stats report][1].

Hadoop is an open-source version of the tools used (Google is a supporter
of the Apache foundation and Hadoop):

   http://lucene.apache.org/hadoop/

Unfortunately for copyright reasons we couldn't distribute the data, as
you suspected. However it is relatively easy to collect it, and several
people in the working group have already performed smaller-scale studies
with smaller samples of data. Roy Fielding recently posted links to a
number of Web spiders that can be used for this purpose, several of which
are open source.

HTH,