Re: Charters for review

From: Karl Dubost <karl@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2006 01:04:38 +0900
Cc: Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>, Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>, Chris Lilley <chris@w3.org>, Hypertext CG <w3c-html-cg@w3.org>, Tim Berners-Lee <timbl@w3.org>, Steve Bratt <steve@w3.org>, www-archive@w3.org, "L. David Baron" <dbaron@dbaron.org>
To: Dean Jackson <dino@w3.org>

Le 23 nov. 2006 à 00:49, Dean Jackson a écrit :
> I liked David's suggestion that the group consider deliverables
> with smaller increments, although I understand what Ian says about
> this being difficult. It still might be possible to develop an HTML
> specification with the minimum set of new features.

+1
I think that would help the whole community:
   - browser developers in being able to synchronize specs
development and product releases
   - book writers to publish updates
   - webmasters, web developers to learn step by step with small
increments the technologies.
   - Test suite a lot easier to develop.

A big monolithic specification trying to cover everything is likely
to have the same difficulties than previous framework. It was one of
the lessons of the WebAPIs WG.

> The development of the test suite is another matter, but I would
> expect that the majority of it arrives after CR.

hmmm :) let me insist with my QA hat on. Please, please, I encourage
the chair and the staff contact to push the group to produce test
cases when developing the specifications. I think it would help
everyone again and it will avoid to have the pain at CR to try to get
a full test suite.

*Each* time a feature is discussed, the WG writes the test cases for
it. It will also gives the opportunity to really promote HTML in the
good way by looking who/what will have to implement this specific
feature (browsers, search engines, authoring tools, etc.)

   QA Weblog - http://www.w3.org/QA/
      *** Be Strict To Be Cool ***