Re: EPAL overlaps XQuery

From: Rigo Wenning <rigo@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 7 Apr 2004 18:42:46 +0200
To: Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org>
Cc: www-archive@w3.org, massimo@w3.org
Dan,

having not enough knowledge about XQuery, I'm reluctant to
add a note. Especially as one can express more or less
everything that P3P or APPEL do in XQuery as XQuery is
a very generic specification.

As P3P, EPAL and APPEL are designed for a specific
area (privacy), they tend to try to limit overhead by making
very lean specifications. This means that they only implement
the functions they need.

Now if you know xpath-functions well and can point to the right
functions and how they mismatch with the functions specified by
EPAL, this could be beneficial. But if it is saying: "you should require
xpath-functions" I would say that this is not what they mean and
surely not what I expect from EPAL.

It would be good if you could add a word to remind the group if
it is chartered..

Best,

Rigo

Am Tuesday 06 April 2004 22:59 verlautbarte Dan Connolly :