Re: Issue 3.4 - daml:UnambiguousProperty

On Wed, 29 May 2002, Jim Hendler wrote:

> Issue 3.4 - daml:UnambiguousProperty
>
>   Proposal - CLOSE THIS ISSUE
>
>    The issue here was that the requirements document didn't motivate
> this language feature.  However, no one has advocated its removal and
> there does seem to be consensus it is a desirable feature.  It is
> provided for in DAML+OIL and will be provided in OWL.

Sounds good.

For completeness, I'll try to motivate the issue:

Many, perhaps all of the Web Ontology requirements are based around needs
associated with the interchange of resource descriptions in the World Wide
Web. The parties that produce and consume these descriptions will be
loosly co-ordinated.  As such, conventions are needed that make it
possible for these parties to be clear _which_ resources are being
described. The Web architecture provides for the use of URI syntax for
naming resources in the Web. In addition, the use of 'uniquely identifying
properties' (aka 'unambiguous properties') provides an additional
mechanism for describing resources which, for example, do not have widely
agreed URI-syntax names. The formal semantics of UnambiguousProperty allow
loosly coordinated parties to draw inferences about the identity of
resources being described in Web data that uses these unambiguous
properties. This complements the URI technology by allowing resources to
be identified indirectly, by description. "The company whose homepage
is...; the person whose telephone number is...; the image whose sha1sum
is...".

Offlist for now. If useful, do what you will with this text. I don't want
to slow down the issue closure. I've copied www-archive anyway, so this is
hyperlinkable.

hth,

Dan

--