Media type approaches

From: Mark Baker <distobj@acm.org>
Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2002 16:52:30 -0400
To: fallside@us.ibm.com
Cc: www-archive@w3.org

Hi David,

Re the discussion we were going to have about the two possible
approaches to registering the media.  Those approaches are either;

1) submit what we have now - the non-shell I-D, with references
to our existing Last Call WD - and explain the expected morph to
the shell registration

or

2) waiting until we next publish, be it LC/PR/whatever, and then
submit the shell I-D

The factors I think we need to consider to make this decision include;

- when we think we might next publish
- expected willingness of IETF and IANA to permit the changes in 1) to
occur without resetting any counters

I would expect that the IETF would be willing to work with us, and that
IANA would follow suit since in this instance, they pretty much take
direction from the IETF/IESG.

As for when we might get around to publishing again, I don't know, but
the longer it takes, the better approach 1) would be.

The objective here is simply to expedite registration.  In either case,
I think we'll get it registered "in time", it's just a matter of how
eager we are.  The TAG finding doesn't talk about the timing of
registration, only the timing of inclusion of the registration
information within the specification.

MB