Re: XHTML for XHTML aware browsers

From: Henri Fallon <henri@w3.org>
Date: Sat, 7 Dec 2002 16:33:47 -0500
To: Dominique HazaŽl-Massieux <dom@w3.org>
Cc: www-archive@w3.org

>Among the browsers that do not recognize application/xhtml+xml, I have
>tested with Netscape 4.7 on Linux and IE5.5 on Windows, and they both
>displayed the pages correctly (e.g., they didn't ask to download the
>page).

Playing with this this afternoon I couln't get it to work with my
Netscape 4.77 (Debian GNU/Linux).

I used the php code
<? print  $GLOBALS[HTTP_ACCEPT]; ?>

and found :

"image/gif, image/x-xbitmap, image/jpeg, image/pjpeg, image/png, */*"

did you tweak your netscape to send text/html ?

With this accept line, I'm afraid we'll have to do it the other way
round and send application/xhtml+xml only to browsers explicitely
naming it.

--
Henri Fallon - W3C Webmaster
MIT Room NE43-340    Tel:617-258-8143